Thyroid expert Meleni Aldridge shares her inspiring autoimmune thyroid journey and the steps she took to manage her condition. She explains how the thyroid works and the health implications that can arise when the thyroid isn’t functioning properly, including autoimmune thyroid conditions. Meleni also discusses the dietary and lifestyle factors that negatively impact thyroid health and what you can do naturopathically to address thyroid issues.
What you’ll learn:
- The role of the thyroid gland in the body and why it’s essential for health.
- The difference between an underactive and overactive thyroid gland, and the symptoms that present with each.
- What an autoimmune thyroid condition is and the health complications associated with autoimmune disease.
- The common causes of thyroid conditions and how diet and lifestyle affect thyroid health.
- Why you should avoid gluten completely if you have an autoimmune thyroid condition.
- The recommended tests to identify thyroid conditions and how to organise getting them done.
- How to address thyroid conditions naturally through diet, lifestyle, nutrition and herbal medicine.
- The use of desiccated thyroid hormone for managing thyroid issues.
Listen to the podcast
Meleni has been immersed in the field of natural and integrative medicine for over 30 years. She is a practicing clinical psychoneuroimmunologist, functional medicine practitioner, certified Metabolic Balance coach and the executive coordinator for the Alliance for Natural Health International. Meleni is not only an experienced practitioner, she has also triumphed over her own autoimmune thyroid journey. Having her entire thyroid removed at the age of 20 left her struggling with hormonal and metabolic imbalances that became increasingly severe over the next 15 years. The ensuing weight gain, poor health and lack of support – or answers – from conventional medicine triggered a profound healing journey that has turned out to be one of her greatest gifts.
Share with your friends
If you enjoyed the show, please feel free to share it with friends.
You can support the show by leaving a rating and review on iTunes, Google Podcasts, Spotify or Stitcher.